Basics of Mentoring
Mentoring can help acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to progress in your career.
Good mentoring results in:
- personal and career growth
- network building
- leadership development
- experiential learning
- knowledge exchange
- career development and skills exchange
Here are some typical activities each role engages in the mentor relationship.
- Assists the mentee in developing a mentoring plan
- Provides or directs opportunity for experience-based learning
- Provides coaching and feedback
- Schedules mentoring meetings
- Takes action based upon the mentoring relationship
- Integrates mentoring information into career planning
In order to have an effective mentoring process, the following parameters are suggested:
Both the mentor and the candidate...
- Should establish guidelines and agendas for your meetings (if time permits)
- Set goals for both the mentor and candidate on what they would like to accomplish by the end of the mentorship.
- Meet as frequently as is convenient for both participants to facilitate the mentorship
- Share information and perspectives on projects, coursework, and other related materials.
If you're interested in becoming a mentor or mentee:
> Sign up for the UXPA Mentorship Program today!