Resources: Related Organizations and Web Sites
This web site from the Society for Technical Communication is a popular portal with several strong collections of resources:
- Topics in Usability is a collection of annotated links on topics from card sorting to readability research.
- Usability Labs and Recruiting is a list of rental labs and recruiting firms, organized by their location.
- The Usability Toolkit contains templates, forms and samples for all aspects of usability testing.
- The Usability Bookshelf is an extensive bibliography (originally assembled by Chauncey Wilson) of usability and design books.
This is the web site of a project funded by the European Union to promote usability and user-centered design. It focuses on tools and methods and advocacy:
- The Tools and Methods section includes an interactive tool to select appropriate methods for a project.
- Usability for Managers includes extensive links to support for usability and basic information for managers interested in usability.
- International Standards has information about the standards process and a summary of key HCI standards.
This resource for designing "usable, useful and accessible Web sites and user interfaces" is a project of the National Cancer Institute.
- Usability Basics is an excellent starting point for the 'what and why' of usability.
- Accessibility Resources contains good links for anyone interested in accessibility and Section 508, as well as reports from the results of their own research.
- Usability Testing links to a step-by-step usability guide for conducting usability testing.
Other popular usability portals are listed below. If you don't see one you are looking for, check under Magazines, Lists and Blogs for personal sites, discussion groups and other regular publications and Organizations for society home pages.
- Utilisabilite.info - Portail francophone de l'utilisabilité (french language usability portal)
- webusabile.it - risorse di web-usabilty
- Usable Web