Baltimore Guide: Hotel & Orientation
This is your informal guide to Baltimore brought to you by local UPA members.
- Google Map
- Hotel & Orientation/Travel
- Best of Baltimore from Local Usability Firms
- Local Restaurant Guide
700 Aliceanna Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202 USA
Phone: 1-800-228-9290, Fax: 1-410-895-1900
Preferred Airport: Baltimore Washington International (BWI).
However, depending on where you are traveling from, your budget (cheap alternative) and flexibility you may wish to consider: Washington Regan National Airport, or Dulles International Airport. There is shuttle service from each, but the time to travel may be quite lengthy (1-2 hours).
From BWI Airport:
There are several ways to go downtown from the airport.
- BWI Taxi. $28 to downtown and about 25 minutes depending on traffic. This is the most common choice.
- Light Rail. $1.60 one way, about 50 minutes. Station located at end of international terminal at BWI. Get off at Camden Yards Baseball Stadium exit, then a 15 minute walk or quick taxi ride through the inner harbor to the hotel.
- MARC Commuter Train. About $5 and 15 minutes to Baltimore Penn Station. Free shuttle from airport to BWI Airport Rail station. About $5 each way. Stop: Baltimore Penn Station, then you’ll need to take a taxi to the hotel (see below)
From Baltimore Penn Station (AMTRAK):
Yellow cab service from Penn station should take less than 10 minutes and cost around $10-15. (Max 4 persons / cab)
From Washington DC (Driving versus Train):
- Driving from Washington DC could very between 1 and 2 hours depending on the time of day and traffic. Use our Google map for directions, and use Traffic.com for estimated drive times with traffic.
- We recommend the MARC Commuter train. It travels hourly between Washington and Baltimore. $7 each way. About 1 hour travel time.
- One MARC complication: There are two lines: “Penn Line” and “Camden Line”. The Camden station takes you closest to the hotel, but leaves rarely. Take the Camden Station stop. The Penn Line takes you to Baltimore Penn station. $10 cab ride to conference hotel.
- The AMTRAK train can get you to Baltimore faster (e.g., 35 minutes) but be prepared to pay more ($19-$50).
The water taxi is a great way to get around the inner harbor and see the sites. Tickets are $8 with unlimited rides during the day. We have a stop right outside our hotel.